Monday 15 March 2021

Collection one : NOVELTY

Massive sleeves had been the biggest trend for the Victorian fashion period and this had affected the whole UK history for a long time. In the past, wearing whopping sleeves was a luxurious dressing, because it represented power and also all about money and status.  So far in 2021, this trend still can be seen at different fashion stage, cause the puff sleeve to make the other aspects of the body look smaller, more individual and cool. 
Hence, in the first collection, I used the idea of the sleeve and combined one of the trends in 2021, netting and hole. Knitting and weaves add some fun to otherwise sleek silhouettes, it's novel and interesting, so I thought it would look appealing when combining these two-element together.

The fashion trend of the Victorian period:


The fashion trend of 2021:


I had found a procreate practice app that supported lots of different drawing tool programs, and all of them were allowed to download for free. I downloaded two of the programs: Rose pattern design and Lace texture pattern. I thought these would be helpful for me to draw out the pattern which was the detail and complicate. 


After confirmed the development direction, I started to use Procreate which the same drawing app as last semester, to sketch out the design shape on the template and then directly fill it up with violet colour by using the brush tool which calls 'Syrup'.




In order to enrich the whole visual impact, I decided to add one more representative element of Victorian fashion: lace. I inserted this element between the waist position by using the 'lace texture brush tool' and then erased the extra edge to make it cleaner.




Moving on to the puffy skirt, I was not really satisfied after drawing the draft, therefore I tried to sketch out with different heights and also different shapes of the sleeves to see which one would be better for the final result.

exploration :


I discovered that the shoulder dress can balance between two skirts, it won't cover up with the puff sleeve top design and also enhanced the overall laying, so I thought this would be perfect for using in this collection.




I changed the colour of the top into azalea, cause I wanted the contrast of brightness can bring the focus on the shoulder dress.




This is the final result:





Reference:

historicalfashionAvailable from : https://historicalfashion.tumblr.com/?og=1 [Accessed 14/03/21].




No comments:

Post a Comment