Monday 11 January 2021

Ice Breaker - Self Portrait

Today’s session we had a warm up icebreaker exercise first, we needed to draw a self-portrait within 15 minutes and it can be using any different media. Therefore, I decided to use digital form to create my self-portrait, using the ‘ Procreate’ app of iPad was useful to choose different colors in a short time efficiently.
I wanted to draw a colorful and eye-catching work, so I did a research and got the inspiration from an artist Lui Ferreyra.

Lui Ferreyra is a American artist who born in Meican, he worked with heavily features geometric shapes and forms, also he used lots of rich colors in his artwork, so it can be seen he was really good at color aliasing techniques and creating an illusion effect. Lai had said that ” I think of my work as a revivification of the impressionist movement, but with a 21st-century technological slant.” . He was very absorbed to be working in the digital age, and if you observe his artwork detaily, you can know that there were combining different groups of mathematically designed elements that interact with the matrix overlay, not just simply sketching the short line to form a picture. 


I like how he used the color in his work, combining different elements to form a character, therefore I imitated the sketching and color style that he had used, and then started to create my own portrait. I opened the app and chose an A4 Size paper document.  In order to make it be more clean and outstanding with the color, I kept the original white background and then selected the ‘6B pencil’ in the tool box. Before starting to sketch, I had also clicked the upper right position of the color template, so as to let the picture be more vivid and bright-colored all the time. After setting up the whole thing, I sketch out the lines of the facial contours with my selfies which were taken by my phone first. Most of the facial features and even the neck were created with high-brightness color tone : tangerine, lemon yellow and red, these can be discrete the shapes of color as highlights and shadows. During the whole process, I kept sketching with ragged and cross-hatching, it just helped to fill up the color quickly in time. In order to highlight and contrast with the facial color, I decided to use a cold color tone to sketch the hair in a wide range, ultra marine and iris purple added a sense of fashionable feeling to the whole picture. I was quite happy and satisfied with the result, but if I had more time, I would sketch with a short line and build up the facial creature more detaily.

The final result : 



Reference :
1. LUIFERREYRA.COM
 https://www.luiferreyra.com/profile/
2. Prismatic Sketches of Hands and Faces by Lui Ferreyra
https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2016/12/prismatic-sketches-of-hands-and-faces-by-lui-ferreyra/
3.
https://www.amexessentials.com/interview-with-lui-ferreyra/#:~:text=Bold%20colours%2C%20shading%20and%20geometric,but%20also%20extends%20beyond%20it.




 

1 comment:

  1. Good self portrait please remember to add commentary and some research

    ReplyDelete