Sunday 31 January 2021

Initial research on the idea development

In the following blog post, I will research some information which relates to my art portfolio project topic ‘Purple Haze’, for instance looking at some different fashion designers, the fashion history backgrounds of Victoria period, definitions of ball gown...There are lots of researches that I am very interested in, hope these scopes can help me to develop more completely, provide or inspire some ideas for the project works, to be more clear to identify the purpose of my creation.


As I mentioned from the class development exercise that I want to associate and relate what I am interested in, this project's concept is all around my favourite historical inquiry, one of the UK's most popular 19 century - Victoria period. I am really absorbed in this medieval generation, I love the way they dress and culture, everything, however, I know not much about this, therefore I have to understand and study with the cultural history of this period, such as their fashion, dress etiquette, design structure or what familiar materials they use... A comprehensive understanding will be very useful for me to develop with my own creation.

The first designer that I would like to look at Valentino Clemente Ludovico Garavani. Valentino is a well-known and a recognized legend in the fashion industry. The iconic colour "Valentino Rosso" , the red colour is most famously used in his couture dresses and it just brought out a strong unique design style.

 I have heard of his brand before, but I didn't have much in-depth research on his work and his biography. According to that I would like to know more about how he uses only red colour on the haute couture dresses that he designed and express them into different styles at the same time, or how he fits the characteristic of classical romanticism into the standards of today's society, the way he balances between two different centuries and attracting a global following, falling in love with his collection. Hope it can get some answers and will be inspired by this research.


The next designer : ​Cecilie Bahnsen. I was attracted by her simple and clean design, also the use of those interesting materials. Every doll dress are given off the sense of femininity. This elegant, easy design style makes me want to see more about other of her works. It would be good to research in more detail,  maybe I can get some design inspiration in it



I also want to research and study digital form design and explore more in the iPad app 'Procreate'. If you have followed my blog before, you probably know that I had used it for the first semester art project. For the whole collection, I only used a ‘brush’ to create those six designs, it seems nice with the final but I want to challenge myself, trying to bring out the texture of different materials through using 2D graphic design.  The rendering of watercolors, the texture of see-through materials...I am still not sure what texture I want to create and how I can work with it, so I may research some drawing technique on the Internet or blog post, try and practice after studying, to achieve my ideal effect to be more perfectly.


The theme is ‘Purple Haze’, so I definitely have to follow this direction to explore the color, what happens if I combine purple and other colors together. What effect or chemical reaction will it bring out? I would list them out as an example, so as to make everything easier and clean, especially when I need to match the suitable color for different styles of the project collection. Develop and find out what it means for my fashion design. I would research deeply for the following blog post.


Reference:

Lawrence,N. (2016). The Victorian Era: the Romantic Period. [online] GLEEM LIFE. Available at: https://gleemco.wordpress.com/2016/01/05/the-victorian-era-the-romantic-period/ [Accessed 5 January 2016].

No comments:

Post a Comment