Wednesday 14 April 2021

I Hate Art: The starry night

Today session is going to discuss one artwork that we do hate, and this can be an experience for us to learn how to speak our opinion and be critical. 

Most of you who are visual arts students must hear of his name or even seen his work, before Vincenti Gogh. The starry night is one of the most magnificent pieces of art in the world. Even you are not an art student, you would still hear about this beautiful painting before. Unfortunately, The Starry Night has become one of the paintings that I hate the most and here is the explanation of the reason why.

I have been interested in art ever since I was a child. I participated in every visual art workshop in primary school and also in high school actively. Due to the fact that Van Gogh was involved in lots of different medium creation, he had a wide range of well-known and famous artwork. His footprints can be seen in almost all kinds of paintings, including landscapes, still life drawing, portraits, and sketches. Base on this reason, the name of Van Gogh has been always mentioned by the Visual Arts teachers. Therefore I had lots of chance to get to know his works over the years and re-created the drawing based on his painting style many times. I really admire Van Gogh's works, especially The Starry Night is such a legendary figure, and I agree that his paintings are definitely an important factor in art history.




However, as more as I work with this artwork, I started felt annoying and abominate with this picture. The Starry Night always reminded me of the year in high school. In the high school examination, students who study visual arts had to complete a visual arts appreciation within 45 minutes and finished a drawing. In order to prepare for it, teachers are often using this painting as an example, and this painting always being the course material for practising the expression style. I created and imitated his impressionist star night style every single year, which I was begun bored with and hate for this painting. Since then, The Starry night has been crossover with lots of brands, you can see it anywhere on everything, from clothing to shoes or maybe the phone case. Even when I came to study abroad in the UK, 2D3D in the last two semesters also mentioned the scope of his creation and this work was also included in the introduction. There is a Van Gogh exhibition: The immersive experience in Highcross Street which is just near my school accommodation, it really seems it is everywhere for me. 
Although The Starry Night is an incredible artwork, it would be nice if I didn't work with it day and night before, access too much with it which just made me feel annoyed and that's the reason why I hate this artwork.


Reference:

Vincent van Gogh’s Self-Portrait Adult Pull-Over Hoodie for Sale by Vintage Images. [Online] Pixels. Available from: https://pixels.com/featured/2-vincent-van-goghs-self-portrait-vincent-van-gogh.html?product=pull-over-hoodie-sweatshirt [Accessed 14/04/21].

Van Gogh: The Immersive Experience - Visit Leicester. Available from: https://www.visitleicester.info/whats-on/van-gogh-the-immersive-experience-p789701 [Accessed 14/04/21].

1 comment:

  1. You talked about this well and made a convincing case for your work. Some artworks have entered the visual language and they are inescapable.

    Please remember to keep your blog up to date - you are currently missing a lot of posts from the first two weeks. These should be updated before your sign off next week, so your project has as much clarity as possible before you start work on it.

    ReplyDelete