Thursday 15 April 2021

Set project: first thoughts

There are slightly differences in this art portfolio project, we had to create s set project which bases on our continuation route as the same as the last two terms, but using one of the themes to create four 2D and one 3D collection designs this time. Therefore, in this class session, I will look at and discuss about the initial ideas base on these themes.

Topic:
1.Oriental Surprise: Explore the art of the Orient both traditional and contemporary
2.Primitivism: Enjoy a ride into the past. 
3.Ultimate Black: Create your pieces using the colour of night.

1. Oriental Surprise


As an Asian, I am quite familiar with the Eastern culture, and the theme Oriental mean associated with Eastern Asia is China. When I was in high school, I created a lot of works that related to these traditional cultures in my minor subject visual art. As a result, I have mastered a lot of basic knowledge base on the China traditional culture. On the contrary, the native culture of where I was born - Hong Kong, is relatively new and emerging, so the history of here and changes are not as strong and diversified as those of other countries. Surely, the Oriental tradition is not only about China, but also about India, Vietnam, Burma and other places. As I had mentioned in the previous post, I am really interested in history, whether it is Eastern or Western countries, and I am full of enthusiasm about these stories. Also, I know most of their cultures are full of colours and unique pattern, accordingly I am very excited and interested in this topic. Being able to get in deep with their traditions can be an intellectually and rewarding experience.


2.Primitivism


When I look at this topic, Primitivism reminds me to think of the primitive culture of the anthropic age, which is full of nature, with plants and flowers as a basic concept, or simple patterns painting on various historical walls. Also In the primitive state of culture, there are no exquisite clothes. Sam had shared with us a website: Primitivism and Modern Art in the class, there is some introduction about primitivism and what I sum up about the article is all around shoddy and negative, it's quite complex with the definition. Obviously, I'm not really familiar with this them but I would love to have a try and challenge with myself.


3.Ultimate Black


Finally, Ultimate Black. This colour gives me a sense of nobility, power and even mystery, but at the same time, it can also feel like cold or deep oppression. I think black is very easy to match with others colour, and it can also bring out the contrast, make others being more stand out. Therefore I think this is really a versatile colour for creating artwork. The Colour of Night. the first thing that pops up in my mind maybe is the same as most people, the stars in the sky, the universe, planets with various colours, or even the theme of magic and constellations. The most significant sign that reminds me of is the little black dress of Chanel, the classic and elegant design never goes out of fashion. I think ball gown the evening dress is quite suitable for these themes. I am interested in this theme and have some ideas about this aspect, but when considering the last term, I also created a collection themed by colour ' Purple Haze'. In this creation, I want to try something new and see how far I can push myself, to create different colour variations besides monochrome.


Reference:
African Clothing. [Online] Contemporary African Art. Available from : https://www.contemporary-african-art.com/african-clothing.html [Accessed 16/04/21].
Tribal Ethnic Colorful Bohemian Pattern With Geometric Elements, African Mud Cloth, Tribal Design. [Online] Freepik. Available from : https://www.freepik.com/premium-vector/tribal-ethnic-colorful-bohemian-pattern-with-geometric-elements-african-mud-cloth-tribal-design_1552705.htm [Accessed 16/04/21].
Primitivism - Important Art. [Online] The Art Story. Available from : https://www.theartstory.org/movement/primitivism/artworks/ [Accessed 16/04/21].
Primitivism | Music 101. Available from : https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-musicapp-medieval-modern/chapter/primitivism/ [Accessed 16/04/21].
12 zodiac signs constellations set on dark vector image on VectorStock. [Online] VectorStock. Available from : https://www.vectorstock.com/royalty-free-vector/12-zodiac-signs-constellations-set-on-dark-vector-21600528 [Accessed 16/04/21].

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts on each of these projects ideas, intelligent and well considered. You are right to have reservations about Ultimate Black and the link to last term, I think this is a chance to challenge yourself a bit more.

    ReplyDelete