Sunday 18 April 2021

Initial Research on the idea development

For ensuring that I understand the definition of primitivism, in the following blog post, I will research the concept deeply and some information that relates to this project topic. For instance, the Africa primitivism culture, the fashion trend of this summer, explains what inspired me, how fashion has re-appropriated Primitive fashion styles in the latter century or even how the artist presents primitivism artwork. As I had mentioned in the last post, in order to provide a comfortable design and success to reach the aim, I also had to research on the materials, compare and consider which fabric would be incorporate into my design. As far as I'm concerned, these scopes can help me to develop more completely, provide or inspire some basic ideas for the project works.
My understanding of African culture is not enough for conducting this project. I have only heard that their culture is constantly invaded by others countries and their culture had been keep affecting by those factors. As I had scanned some introduction of primitism from the internet, Africa is also regarded as the most primitive source by the world, lots of artists had sought for this culture and this place had been named as a symbol of cultural heritage.
My impression of Africa has always been bright colours, complex textures and fabrics with different designs on the whole body. I don't know much about the meaning of their culture, so I have to do a detail research base on this culture.


The ideas that inspire me to revolve in Africa this topic is all around my daily life and my interests. There is a 'Festival of lion king' programme in Hong Kong Disneyland, the theme background is mainly around the African savannah. I have seen many times with their performance, no matter what they wear and even props, they are all really acting like the indigenous African. Those complicated and characteristic design is the reason why I started paying attention to their culture. Black Panther, another film created by Marvel Studio, also takes Africa as the background of its main character. The narrative of the whole film contains the prism view of Black life and traditional culture. What is interesting is that they bring out the fictional and technological utopia without losing the colour of Africa, perfectly balancing the difference between the two generations which is very impressive. I observe that there are something ingenious in their dress design, therefore I wanted to study more about what they had in common or how they can extend to my project.



I also will be looking at two fashion designers: Thebe Magugu and Emmy Kasbit.


The theme of this project is ‘Primitivism’, so I would definitely follow this direction to explore the Primitivist movement in Art. Develop and find out how the artists incorporate the primitive style in art, what colour did they express the culture. I am quite interested in Paul Gauguin's artwork, his paintings are rich in colour and a high degree of saturation, which's lead the whole painting full of innervation and really attracts me to research deeply for the following blog post.

Black Panther’s Oscar-winning costumes include 3D-printed designs. (2019)[Online] Dezeen. Available from : https://www.dezeen.com/2019/02/27/black-panther-best-costume-design-oscar-3d-printing/ [Accessed 20/04/21].
The Economic Importance of Cultural and Creative Industries. (2019) [Online] Lumec. Available from : http://www.lumec.co.za/economic-importance-cultural-creative-industries/ [Accessed 20/04/21].
Lion King Sketches. [Online] Kenneth Sofia. Available from : https://kensofia42.artstation.com/projects/nnB8X [Accessed 20/04/21].
NnewuiheI. (2020) The Fascinating History of Ankara Fabric (African Wax Print) in West Africa. [Online] Medium. Available from : https://medium.com/mbili-journal/the-fascinating-history-of-ankara-fabric-african-wax-print-in-west-africa-8d2c40fdb6e0 [Accessed 20/04/21].

1 comment:

  1. Gauguin is initeresting, but have you seen the work of Kehinde Wiley - this is not Primitivist art, but painting that embraces and promotes African American culture, using visual references (patterning, little physical depth in the work) that you might be interested in including here.

    ReplyDelete