Wednesday 5 May 2021

Further development in the real world: Five sketches

 Continues with the last blog post, we have to develop and try to use multi-perspective thinking to work with the project. I decided to create five more sketches based on one of the draft ideas. We can determine what element we want to explore with: Exaggerate/ Minimize/ Change colours/ Change mediums/ Change the light/ Alter the composition/ Alter the style. I wanted to explore what colour tone I can use in this collection 

I created by using an earth tone for the first two sketches, which means it's close to the colour of the soil or clay. It is a neutral colour element, which gives out a sense of maturity and easiness. I think this colour can be the most representative of the essence and carry out the atmosphere of primitive nature. Although its colour is not really sharp and also quite a subdued colour, it can coroperate with the exaggerated pattern of the design.


For the following sketches, I used a relatively dazzling and bright colours. I emphasized the use of complementary colours and also added the tone of the fluorescent, which expressed a sense of fun and impact in the whole visual effect.






I love how the combination of these colours work together, especially the second colour palette, which makes me feel like very avant-garde and much more personalities. Imagine displaying them in a store's show cabinet; it would undoubtedly draw notice. However, I need to concern about my theme again. Primitivism is based on the use of original and natural elements. My initial purpose was to convey the African primitive culture and to bring out this idea by the strightforward and simple design. As a result, if I add the second colour concept to the set, it will lose its value and be like more modern style. To conclude all, I might tend to prefer the first earth tone colour idea.

1 comment:

  1. These area good effort, I have a few questions I want you to consider before I see you for your drop in session in Week 8. Firstly have you considered including accessories in your designs? Which kinds of fabrics are you focusing on if these designs were to be put into production? Are the fabrics linked to the culture you are drawing your inspiration from?

    ReplyDelete